Monday, June 25, 2012

Update

So it's going on 5 days since my pins were removed and it's been great. I was walking around normally with the darco shoe up until yesterday. I bought some Champion sneakers at Target and went up full size. They're very comfortable and very cheaply priced which is good because there is no way I'll be able to wear them once my foot is no longer swollen. I wore them yesterday with my regular socks (of which I have quite the collection due to years of hiding my foot) and drove to lunch!

It felt so good to be able to drive again and I had no pain. I was nervous at first but my foot was fine so off we went! I walked around a lot, we went shopping afterwards and only got tired once we were waiting in the long line at the tea shop. I sat down for a little while our drinks were being prepared and then I was off walking around again. I'm walking around normally but with a slight limp once I'm tired. My foot didn't get as swollen as I thought it would so yay for that!

Here's a picture of my scar:

Yesterday I started wearing the ScarAway silicone sheet (the beige part) taped down with medical tape to keep in in place. I'm wearing it already as a preventative measure. The box says not to use on open wounds and although it appears pinkish, the middle part of the scar has been closed for weeks now. It was really stiff and I can already feel the silicone softening it. The pin holes don't hurt at all but I'm giving the top 2 more time to heal before I move the strip vertically & cover the entire scar.

So this is my last week before I return to work. My goodness these 11 weeks flew by quickly but I've got to say that cable, Netflix, and my laptop made things a lot easier to deal with. Not to mention the recliner I've been nesting in. And I'm still not used to the new look of my foot. I was trying on my flip flops by the mirror and I still can't believe that's my foot in the reflection. I'm so happy I did this. I can hardly believe I actually did it and went through surgery and everything else. I'm proud of myself for not bolting out of the doc's waiting room on my first appointment even though it was all I could think about. I was sitting there with all that doubt in my mind thinking "how could I be this self centered and consider SURGERY for something non-life threatening?". Luckily I got through it and dived right in anyway. It may not have been a life threatening condition but it was holding me back. I sat there and thought about how this past January I was invited to go to Miami at the end of July and how my excitement immediately turned into dread because I'd be worried the entire time about hiding my foot on that beautiful beach :(. My only gripe now is that it's blazing hot outside and I don't want to wear socks & sneakers while I'm out wearing cute outfits...but it's no big deal! It won't be for much longer anyway :) 

Thanks for following & have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome that you are out and about already! Enjoy your last week before going back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm doing all sorts of errands now, soon I'll be looking for an excuse to take another long break LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great! I still can not bend my toes when I walk! You could always wear your flip flops now, they would probably be wide enough for your foot. I have been thinking the same things, I can't quite believe I did the surgery and it's over, with just a little more healing to go. It seems a little surreal! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks I'm happy for you too! I'm being good wearing my sneakers until further notice. I'm not sure how long the doc recommended I wear the sneakers but I'll call and find out.

    ReplyDelete