Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Week 11

Another week has gone by. It went by nice and quickly. This is the week my fixator is scheduled to come off (in 2 days to be precise). I've been using the stimulator everyday. Also, I regained control of my 3rd toe around 3 days ago. I've been wiggling my toes constantly and feel that doing so not only helped me regain control of the 3rd toe but I feel the 4th toe trying to wiggle with the rest although it can't because the metatarsal still has 4 pins in it.

Here's a side view of my toes (sorry about the darkness of the pic on the right, my flash can be tricky).

As you can see my toe was quite straight back on May 29th (the brachytoe pin was removed on May 23rd). It's still really straight but is very sloooooowly starting to relax. Interestingly, it's really only the top half of my toe that is so straight. In the pictures below it's more obvious; the 4th metatarsal is perfectly flat and aligned with the rest of the metatarsals. I took these sitting down, no weight bearing. 


As you can imagine this is very frustrating but I know that it will eventually relax and sit all the way down with the rest. I see and feel the difference everyday. I seem to be the only blogger that this has happened to. Probably because my pin had been in my toe since day 1. A common issue among the blogosphere seems to be that the toe is dragging too low and in those cases the toe eventually sits right and stops dragging or a pin is inserted to correct it. In some lucky cases the toe doesn't float OR drag at all. This is just another part of the healing process; one that I didn't anticipate. It's just another thing to deal with and move on. 

On a positive note, I was playing with all of my new sandals and these leather t-sraps are the only ones my swollen foot will fit through lol. So you see, it's not so bad. I just want my toe to do it's job and carry it's own weight :)


7 comments:

  1. Your toe look great! Look how far you have come. Like you said, with time it will sit like the others. At least it's not floating and rubbing against your shoes like it used to. Looks good. All the best with the surgery in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I was driving myself nuts yesterday but I'm feeling better now :) I'm glad that you were finally able to post! It must have been a glitch.

      Delete
  2. By the way, this is the first time I have been able to comment on your blog. Each an every time I have tried there's been a problem. Got there in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be so happy in a few days, you won't be so worried bout the "little" details! My toe was and is a tiny bit low, and Dr. T says it will adjust as I start using my foot more. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! It's so funny because I have all this free time to stare at my foot and obsess about every little thing! I might go back to work next week depending on how everything goes so I won't have that luxury anymore LOL!

      Delete
  4. Thinking about you today! Getting your fixator off!! I bet that's going to feel good. :-)

    ReplyDelete