Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pins Are Out!

I'm back! I'm excited to say that my pins were removed today. I went in to my appointment and they immediately took xrays. The doc came in, took a look at the xray and said "you're good to go!". 

He put on gloves, went to get pliers and screwdriver and got to work. He unscrewed and removed the fixator (the black bar) first. Then he took the pliers and started back to front unscrewing each pin. I bled a tiny bit (less than the girl in the youtube video I posted a few posts back) and I felt nothing! Just a slight pulling at the most but no pain whatsoever. I kept bracing for pain but it never came. Keep in mind that this was with no painkillers or numbing shots. I was very nervous and I'm so happy that the whole ordeal was over so quickly, it took maybe 5 minutes MAX. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.


So here are the new pics!


4th toe is relaxing even more probably due to fixator removal 

The doc says to keep wearing the darco shoe for a couple of days to adjust without the pins and then transition to athletic lace up sneakers. I may have to go up a size to accommodate the swelling. He says to keep using the bone stimulator and stay away from high impact exercise for the next 6 weeks. So that's it! My next follow up appointment is in 4 weeks and they said I'll be doing so good I'll probably cancel it haha! I'll start using those over the counter silicone sheets on my scar as soon as the pin sites are closed.

I want to give special thanks to Brachynomore for creating and keeping up with her blog and for her support.    Her foot looks absolutely fantastic and I wish her all the best in her healing :) I'll be checking her blog as usual for new posts ;). 

And to Byebyebrachy and Brachychik who are going through this process at the moment, I want to say thanks for your support and stay strong! It will be all over before you know it :). 

Brachygoneforever is having her surgery soon & I want to wish her good luck! 

To all the lurkers: you are not alone and feel free to ask questions! We Brachybloggers don't bite.

Have a nice rest of the week & weekend everyone and thanks for following!


19 comments:

  1. You look freaking fantastic! I am soooo happy that the pins are out! Doesn't it feel amazing? I'm practically dancing in my boot I'm so excited for you! Thanks for the mention, and thank you for being there for me too. It has helped me a lot to know that you were there rooting for me and going thru the exact same thing. You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You're the best! It does feel amazing and also strange! I still can't believe it's over. I want to shout it from a mountaintop or perhaps the roof of tall building lol!

      Delete
  2. Your toe looks fabulous! What a great outcome. I can see that it has relaxed now the pins are out. Thanks heaps for the shout out too. You have been a tremendous support. I am so glad I found your blog. Its been a great support network between us bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! And thanks for so much for following! I really enjoy reading about your experiences, I look forward to your posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great seeing your awesome results!! I'll be starting my journey on Monday. I hope my results are as awesome as yours. I hope you keep posting on your progress. How long it takes you to wear regular shoes, when you feel that your walking is back to normal, etc. Thanks for offering your support and well wishes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I will definitely keep posting. I'm so excited for you, tomorrow's the big day! You'll be in my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your foot looks amazing. Sorry for being a lurker, I just amired you guys progress and process. I had the one stage with a cadaver bone and the kwire fixator had everything removed two weeks ago only to reveal I went from brachy toe to flail toe "floating toe. I've been crying all week. Its enough to come up with the courage to
    Have the surgery in the first place then for it to be an even bigger let down is hard to cope with. You guys please send me your excellent results vibe. Thanks to all of you brachy bloggers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! No need to apologize, we've all been lurkers before ;). When you say your toe is floating do you mean the actual toe or metatarsal? My toe was floaty too it took about 1 month after the k-wire removal for it to settle down with the rest. Please don't give up hope, these days almost everything can be corrected. You'll be in my thoughts!

      Delete
  7. Hello. I am so glad everything worked out for you with your surgery. Was it painful when you got the pin removed from your foot? I recently had the surgery & still have the pin sticking out of my 4th toe and panic everything time I think of the agony I will go through once he removes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brachychik! I've been wondering where you've been hoping you're ok. How was your surgery? The pin removal was virtually painless, just a very slight sting less painful and quicker than a regular shot in the arm. Takes 3 seconds at most. I know it's hard not to worry sbout it but seriously it's nothing. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

      Delete
    2. Do you ever feel like the bone in your ex brachy toe is shifting or something when walking?? I'm not walking on mine yet but it seems as if I can feel the bone moving whenever I flex my foot. As if it's not secure. Maybe it's just me, I plan to ask my doctor about what I'm feeling when I go see him again.

      Delete
    3. Now that you mention it: Yes! Even though I don't have an implant I sometimes feel like something in there is moving or shifting slightly!! I've ignored it though because it doesn't hurt & it doesn't happen often. I notice it more when I'm not wearing my sneakers. I wonder if we're just not used to the feel of a longer metatarsal LOL! Let me know what your doc says :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much and I will definitely let you know what he says!!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for responding. Everything is fine. I had the pin removed from my brachy toe on yesterday(it was a quick sting like you said) & the doc put me back on non weight bearing for 2 more weeks to make sure everything stays in place. That sucks but I will make a positive out of it. At least I am near the end!!! Also thanks for the shout out & I hope you are enjoying your new fantastic looking toe:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaay!!! I can't wait to see your outcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello, I had my brachy surgery on my right toe. I have been wanting this forever. Feels good to know Im not the only one, but the only person in my family. Excited about my new journey in life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello, I had my brachy surgery on my right toe. I have been wanting this forever. Feels good to know Im not the only one, but the only person in my family. Excited about my new journey in life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I invite you all to join "Diseasemaps" an app in whinch you can see people having brachymetatarsia all around the world, so that you can keep in touch with and speak about worries, solutions...about this condition

    ReplyDelete