Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Week 8

This past week has flown by. I've been walking around as normally as possible while wearing the draco shoe and yesterday I did a little walking at home without it. It's getting easier with practice but of course my foot gets a little swollen afterward. This weekend I went out without crutches! I had a nice lunch out on Saturday & Sunday and did a little bit of shopping! It was tiring but so worth it. I also spent a lot of time with friends; they're all so curious about the fixator but I don't show it to them because my scab makes it look worse than it feels (it's starting to come off on it's own finally!). 


My toe is still really straight even after having the brachytoe pin removed. It feels really stiff so I need to ask if therapy will help with that at my next appointment. Speaking of my next appointment, it is fast approaching. I'm set to have the fixator removed next week. I was a little nervous about it because it will be done in the office but now I'm ready to just get it out. Doing a little research on the removal process allowed me to get some peace of mind.


Per Wikipedia on external fixation: "Installation of the external fixator is performed in an operating room, normally under general anesthesia. Removal of the external frame and bolts usually requires special wrenches and can be done with no anesthesia in an office visit.


This medical journal article shows that 95 out of 106 patients that had an ex-fix removed would do it again without anesthesia. Also, this youtube video shows an ex-fix being removed from the first metatarsal (it's not that graphic but be warned lol). In the video the patient says all she feels is pulling as her doctor turns the pins. This sounds promising, hopefully it won't be too bad  when I have it done ^__^.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I would do it this way if I could! I was wondering, did you do the bone stim or decide against it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm supposed to get it this week or next week finally. It's taken so long but I guess it's better late than never :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your doctor think it is beneficial to use it after the fixator is removed? I didn't ask my doctor about whether I would continue to use it once the fixator is removed, I guess I thought that I wouldn't need it after that, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't asked, I just assumed I'm still supposed to use it afterward to strengthen the bone further. I'll call the office tomorrow to be sure :)

      Delete
  4. first.. thank you for this blog. all of your worries and feelings are the same as mine. i wish i had read earlier!

    i am so frustrated with this process. up until today i was counting down time and looking forward to the end result. my doctor informed me today that he has to go back into the foot and place another pin. you have four pins and i only have three! the ex-fix (same kind as yours) is shifting. ughh.

    i am 25 days into the process and my growing is complete. the brachy toe pin was removed today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I'm so sorry to hear that your fixator is shifting but at least your doc caught it before it was too late! Congrats on getting the pin removed!! Are you weight bearing? I have so many questions lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that he caught the shifting too! After the procedure doc told me that too much weight/activity could be the reason for the shifting. Heel weight was okay'd, but I am going to stick to no weight to be safe.

      It was hard to tell work I had a few more weeks to go. (I may be a workaholic :/ LOL) I read further into the blog and your end results are AMAZING!! Keeping me focused and excited!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Do you have a blog? I'd love to hear more about your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No blog... i didnt think to do one. but it would have been a great way to keep track and share the experience! 3month old baby, husband in the navy and life on crutches lol it has been interesting to say the least :) i am hoping my next appointment is my last! i will see if i can get before/after pics up once it is all over.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete