Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April 2012 Week 2


My 2nd follow up appointment fell on the morning of Day 14 post op. By this point I was 5mm (1mm per day)! And this is also when I started to hurt. The first 3 days of distracting were fine. There was no pain and the screw would easily turn. On Day 4 there was more resistance when turning and immediately afterwards there would be a stinging pain throughout my brachytoe followed by 30 minutes of intense ache around the fixator area. The pain would come and go in waves: burning, aching, stinging and repeat. I started taking the painkillers again and it would help some but it would mainly take the edge off so I could relax and not be so tense. Don't be afraid to ask for more pain medication!

The morning of my appointment they unwrapped my foot and took xrays. The nurse came in and said that the nurse aide was going to remove my stitches which was good news because they were hurting/stinging. I told them what I was feeling the days before and they said the stitches coming off should help relieve some of the pain. The nurse aid was so nice and gentle! She took her time and I barely felt her removing them. There was a last stitch however that the regular nurse came in to take a look at and she snipped and removed it. That last stitch hurt so bad I could tell that was the one that was giving me trouble! After a while the stinging went away.

The doc said my foot looked great. I was surprised to see growth that quick. My brachytoe was now even in length with my pinky! In 5 days! So the doc wrapped it up and off I went :)

No comments:

Post a Comment