Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April 2012 Prep & Surgery Day!


To prepare for the surgery and my future disabled-ness I decided to read and dissect every single foot surgery forum I could find online! I got a temporary handicap placard for my car, bought a sweat-proof ice pack, a waterproof cast cover, this shower stool, this knee scooter, and this shower head with an attached hose to use while sitting:


My surgery was scheduled at 10am at an outpatient surgery center nearby. I arrived with my husband at 9am as instructed when the receptionist called me the week before and again the day before surgery. She said to not eat or drink anything after midnight, to stop taking birth control (to prevent blood clots), wear loose clothes and to arrive 1 hour early for paperwork and prep. They took me in, weighed me, did the urine pregnancy test and I changed into a cozy warm gown. Everyone kept asking me what I was having done in order to make sure I was the right person. I was given a purple marker to write YES on the foot I was to be operated on. Then they inserted the IV (this was my first surgery EVER and I was quite nervous) and the nurse said "this is the most you're gonna feel today". She was right because it just felt like a pinch. Then the anesthesiologist came in and gave me a "cocktail" haha! He and my doc wheeled me to the OR and I woke up after what felt like a nice nap with my foot wrapped up like this:



My doc said everything went well! He told me not to get it wet or put any weight on it. They gave me this medical boot and some crutches. My husband and a nurse helped me change back into my loose clothes and helped me into a wheel chair. The valet brought my car around and I was back home by noon. I kept my foot elevated at ALL times and had zero pain! My husband picked up my painkillers and antibiotics at the pharmacy while I slept and I started taking them immediately as instructed. After around Day 3 I stopped taking the painkillers since I had no pain but kept on with the antibiotics until they finished :) Overall I saw that I was able to do everything on my own thanks to the scooter so my husband went back to work. 

2 comments:

  1. Did the shower stool actually come in handy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has! I've been non-weight bearing for these past 4 weeks and not allowed to get water on my device. It's awesome to be able to sit in the tub comfortably with my foot covered and makes it easy to get in and out with no help ;)

    ReplyDelete