Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Week 20

Hi all! Sorry for not updating sooner, it feels like it was just yesterday that I last posted.

With that said, it's update time!!

Here are some questions I've received via email that I thought I'd list & answer:

How do you feel physically? Pretty good! Better than I thought I would at this point, actually. 
Are you in pain? No, it's more of a tired ache/soreness at the end of an active day.
Can you run? I can! I started up on badminton again just this week and played very comfortably even though I felt like my heart was gonna explode lol! Months of taking it easy will do this to you.
Can you bend your toe? I can with my hand but not much on it's own. It bends as much as it did back at week 14.
Does your cut hurt? Not really, it stings lightly sometimes but it's probably because the scar away sheet is so sticky, it sticks to the skin so it doesn't let it move like it should. BONUS: Everyone thinks the sheet is a band-aid so they extra stay away from my feet haha!
What shoes are you wearing? I made the switch to very cushy comfy flats, both open and closed toe. The closed toe fit comfortably but I do feel more tired on the days that I wear them. Because of this, I haven't bothered with heels. It would be too tiring.
How's the swelling? There is still some if I walk around a lot. I just take off my shoes for a while if they start feeling tight. It doesn't last very long. 
Are you limping? Yes, if I'm tired I walk with an obvious limp lol
Have you bumped your foot/toe? Yes. I slammed my toe into the corner of the couch a couple of weeks ago. It hurt but no more than if it had been any other toe.
Did you ever bump it while wearing the fixator? No.
Did you get an infection? No but this is not common. Most people get minor infections that clear up quickly with antibiotics. I have absolutely no clue why I didn't; everyone is different. 
How is your toe nail growth? It's normal which was unexpected. The nail bed stretched with the rest of the toe and now it looks like a good ol' normal toe nail :D
Are you still using the bone stimulator? Yes. I'll use it 'til it dies I guess!

On to the pictures!

Closed toe cushy flats! Very comfy :)

Scar Away Week 10 :)

I'm feeling great emotionally too. I'm really happy with my results and sometimes forget that I got it done. It goes both ways: sometimes I forget my foot is normal now and sometimes I forget I ever had brachy. A good friend of mine threw a pool party recently and while I didn't hesitate to take off my flip flops and get in the pool, I could not help but think about the strangeness of the situation. NEVER in my life did I think I would actually be able to do that but as I sat there with a my group of friends on the pool edge with my feet in the water, I thought to myself "this isn't that different from before". In other words, I guess I had some glamorized view of what it would be like to not have brachy, but really my life was already great all along.  I'm exactly the same person and my friends are the exactly the same great people. Even with brachy, I accomplished a lot. The reality is that brachy didn't hold me back as much as I recently thought it did. If anything, it taught me to be resourceful and problem-solvy. Flip flops and barefoot walking are cool but I can't say that I didn't have a great life before surgery. With THAT said, I'm still very glad I did it. I know I probably sound completely mental to anyone but brachyfolk (and even then lol). I hope this made sense & I'll try to tone down the crazy next time ;)

Thanks for following & have a wonderful week!

11 comments:

  1. Not crazy, it's been an emotional ride hasn't it? To me the biggest difference has been the absence of the anxiety that was always lurking in the background before. I no longer have to worry about hiding my foot. It sounds so strange to non-brachy people, that we worried so much about that, but it's just the truth. It feels pretty great your foot looks fantastic! Glad all is well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That lack of anxiety is pretty sweet. And thanks! Most of the swelling has gone away now :D

      Delete
  2. Hey you! how are you feeling now? 99.9%? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Yes, I would say so. I can run very comfortably and I've worn heels several times already (even to a wedding for several hours!). I still have a tiny bit of swelling when I run around all day but absolutely no pain. I'm also still massaging the toe daily. It's starting to get chilly outside yet the weather changes don't affect my bone at all. How are you? Did you get the fixator removed? Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome! How is your toe flexibility? I just got my fixator removed a week ago and I really can't bend my toe at all, either by itself or with help from my hand. Going to start physical therapy to gain back the range of motion. I'm glad you are moving well and running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :)

    Congrats on having it removed! WOO HOO! The toe can bend on it's own but not as far down as the others unless I bend it all the way with my hand. I remember gaining control of the 3rd toe before I could bend the 4th toe at all. Let me know how it goes at therapy :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I've read your entire blog. Was just wondering if you could do another update on how you are feeling now almost a year since your last update? Does your foot feel normal still?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very happy for you.. Please can you tell me if everything is OK for you after all this years. I'm thinking Now about this surgery.. Your answer can help me to make a decision. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I'm alive and well! It feels like a lifetime ago that I had the surgery, I go months and months forgetting that I had it. I have zero pain :)

      Delete
  8. It's funny, I'm in my 50s and recently learned about the name of my condition and that there is a fix. I want to get this surgery so bad and finally set myself free of this life-long embarrassment. I just want to wake up one day and look that I have normal feet! That would be a miracle. Thanks for sharing your blog, very informative. I just hope there is not an age limit to have the surgery. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete